Friday, March 8, 2013

Stay at Home Mom's

I love being a "stay at home mom."  I love being there at a drop of a hat for my children. I wouldn't want it any other way.  I know that there are many moms out there that aren't able to be home-  I have to say- you are still amazing!!  My mom always had to work- but fortunately she was there at a drop of a hat... she was admired and so respected in her career that when she said I have to go to my child's school program, or my little girl is sick, or I have to run my daughters "unmentionables" to school because she forgot to take them to early morning Drill-team practice, they didn't ever bat an eye- she was able to be there for me and my brother.  I have a sister in law that has to work too, and she too can still provide for her children in ways that works for them and their family.  NOT TO LEAVE out dads- I had a pretty supportive dad, and my husband is amazing at being there for my kids too-

That being said there is something amazing about being a mother...  I am truly grateful that my mother taught me all I know.  I am very blessed to have been taught the homemaking skills that I know and am still learning from her.

I am blessed to have the Gospel I my life.  
In the book Daughters in My Kingdompage 157  it reads:
“Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth…Nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work.”

I am trying to teach my girls the value of being a good mother- I don't always do a very good job "by example" but I am trying.  I am constantly working on being more "patient," being more "fun" and being more "hands on" in creativity.  

President Ezra Taft Benson at April 1989 general conference said to the young girls, "Be prepared for missionary service if you are called.  But also, young girls, learn from your mothers the important homemaking skills you will use in your own home."

I was fortunate enough to have been able to do both... serve a mission and learn from my mom and Grandmother home-making skills (that I will constantly be learning and developing).  I hope to encourage my daughters to serve a mission, and to love learning and applying homemaking skills.

Mary N. Cook, first counselor in the Young Women general presidency, tells us from the New Era in the May Issue of 2012 the following (click here for a direct link)
"Gaining knowledge now will pay huge dividends when you become a mother.  “A mother’s education level has a profound influence on the educational choices of her [children].” …  Educated women “tend to: Give birth to healthier babies, have children who are healthier, be more confident, resilient and have improved reasoning and judgment.”

She goes on to say: “mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children.”  Providing an education for your children is part of that nurturing and is your sacred responsibility.  Like the stripling warriors, who “had been taught by their mothers” [Alma 56:47], you will be the most important teacher your children will ever have, so choose your learning carefully.  Bless your children and your future home by learning as much as you can now.

No comments:

Post a Comment